Wednesday 22 March 2017

Comprehending Pink’s Commandments Part 9



Foreword:
The following exerpt is taken from The Ten Commandments  by Arthur W. Pink
(BAKER BOOK HOUSE, 1994 GRAND RAPIDS, MI)
In this blog series I will work through this very important article a paragraph at a time – asking my reader comprehension style questions at the end. In our day, when people who identify themselves as Christians are so sensitive to any accusation of legalism that they tend to swing all the way out to antinomianism (that is lawlessness), it is perhaps now more than ever that we ought to prayerfully re-examine the Ten Commandments – and few do it better than Arthur Pink (1886 - 1952). I found this article to be very convicting as I first worked through it. And, lest we think we the church are not in need of this labour, let us be reminded that those whom Jesus will reject on the last Day even though they did many mighty works in his name, were accused by our Lord of not just having no intimate relationship with him (‘I never knew you’), but also that they were accused as workers of lawlessness by our Lord. The Law of God does not save, nor does it keep one saved – none the less we are called to obedience to it who are saved – but enough of me – here is Arthur Pink…

“Seventh, let us consider their spirituality. "The Law is spiritual" (Rom. 7:14), not only because it proceeds from a spiritual Legislator, but because it demands something more than the mere obedience of external conduct, namely, the internal obedience of the heart to its uttermost extent. It is only as we perceive that the Decalogue extends to thoughts and desires of the heart that we discover how much there is in ourselves in direct opposition to it. God requires truth "in the inward parts" (Psa. 51:6) and prohibits the smallest deviation from holiness even in our imaginations. The fact that the Law takes cognizance of our most secret dispositions and intentions, that it demands the holy regulation of our mind, affections, and will, and that it requires all our obedience to proceed from love at once demonstrates its Divine origin. No other law ever professed to govern the spirit of man, but He who searches the heart claims nothing less. This high spirituality of the Law was evidenced by Christ when He insisted that an unchaste look was adultery and that malignant anger was a breach of the sixth commandment. “

1) How would you explain “the Law is spiritual” to a non-believer?
2) Almost all other world religions give laws that are externally verifiable – laws that can be seen by others to have been obeyed. For example: going to mass, lighting a candle, praying towards mecca, presenting sacrifices to idols, going door to door, wearing certain clothing etc. The Law of God has many external components as well (can you think of examples of these?) but Jesus holds mankind to a much higher standard – not only what you do counts but what you think (your attitude or heart’s desire) actually counts. As Ralph Waldo Emerson correctly observed:  “Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny.”  These scriptures show how important a good thought-life is:

Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life. (Proverbs 4:23)

The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart. (Luke 6:45)

"For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed the evil thoughts, fornications, thefts, murders, adulteries, (Mark 7:21)

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. (Philippians 4:8)

All too often we sow thoughts which have death as their ultimate destiny. It is not harmless to imagine sinning - to fantasize doing that which the scripture prohibits. Which one of the ten commandments most expresses this idea of a righteous thoughtlife – of guarding your thoughts?
3) “It is only as we perceive that the Decalogue extends to thoughts and desires of the heart that we discover how much there is in ourselves in direct opposition to it.” Who is the ‘we’ that Pink is referring to here? All mankind or beleivers? If you love God and are trusting in Christ for your eternal destiny but find so much of yourself persistently in opposition to His Law which was given in love, what is the only response warranted? What is the only attitude which makes sense? Where can we find hope? In scripture and in prayer and ultimately in the perfect record of Jesus gifted to us who are his. Consider what Paul says in the following scripture and please note the pronouns – here we have perhaps the greatest Christian who ever lived referring to himself (how much more then do these things apply to ourselves):

“We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.” (Romans 7:14-25)

No comments:

Post a Comment