Wednesday 12 October 2016

Roller coaster





When I was about six years old I went on my first roller coaster near the beach in Durban, South Africa. It was a simple up and down roller coaster (no loops) but I remember that it scared the life out of me and made me feel ill and so, there and then, I made a stubborn declaration that I would never again ride another one. I’ve made quite a few self-promises that I quickly forgot but this one I persisted with right into adulthood. As the years rolled by every time my friends and family were at a place that had a coaster I would simply refuse to go on it. I was the guy holding the bags and candyfloss while others flew around above me on metal tracks – and I was quite happy with this.

I went to college and then became a primary school teacher in Johannesburg. One day my year group went on a field trip to Gold Reef City, which is, I suppose the South African Equivalent of Thorp Park or Six Flags. We watched them pour gold and went down a mineshaft and visited the museum but near the end of the day we went to the rides section of the park where there was a towering, multiple-inversion, feet-dangling, orange roller coaster. Of course the pupils wanted to go on it. I took one look and decided that I would not. Other teachers could do the ride – I would hold the bags as usual.
But while my mind was on this thought a soft warm little hand wormed its way into mine and I looked down into the big frightened eyes of Lindiwe. In a trembling voice she said: “Mister H I am scared – will you sit next to me on this ride?”
How could I say no?
So we joined the line and though I was putting on a brave face, I was genuinely terrified. I had avoided these things with great success for nearly twenty years and now I had no choice to go on the biggest fastest one in South Africa!
Soon we were moments away from being strapped in. I began to point out the safety features to little Lindiwe. “Look how confident the staff are. Look how strong the rails are. Think of how many hundreds of people have ridden this ride and survived. Look how thick the seatbelts are and how strong this seat is.
Then the ride began–
I screamed and laughed and cried.
So did Lindiwe.
What a rush!
Then it was over.
Boy I have never felt so close to a pupil! We came off that thing high fiving each other and gushing with adrenalin. We were literally shouting at each other as we pointed out our favourite parts – that corkscrew section and then whoosh that loop. For a few minutes we were total equals in the conquest of our fears. We must have made quite a picture: 10 year old and 24 year old with wet eyes and wide smiles.
Of course we went again.

Now I look back fondly after all these years and I think I begin to understand worship and praise.

When we worship God we point out his saving features – his strength, wisdom, power, unchanging nature, his Divine love. We look at his History in the scripture and in the church and mission field. We might even talk of his work in our own lives. This encourages us and gives us hope. It empowers us to face the enemy and the struggles of life because we have refreshed our knowledge of the truth of our victorious God by telling each other these things in song, prayer, testimony and sermon.  Just like I the elder pointed out the safety features and history of the roller coaster ride to Lindiwe.

When we praise God we celebrate his faithfulness and his sure hand in our lives. We are filled with joy and love that we have a Father in Heaven who has given everything to bring us home. Just as Lindiwe and I enjoyed the ride all the more for being together and talking about it – or even shouting about it. When you think of it the church – the communion of the saints – is a gift from God. No roller coaster ride is that exciting unless it is shared with someone we care about.

Let us never treat praise and worship like a habit or an obligation. Let us never just go through the motions. Our God and our walk with him in this life is far more dangerous and exciting than any roller coaster. But our God will never fail us.  Let us remember him – all he has done – all his attributes – by describing them to each other and celebrating his past, present and sure future blessing upon us.

Finally – the rapture is imminent – strap in. If you think the ride you have had in this life has been exhilarating, wait until you are caught up together in the clouds to meet with the Lord in the air. The sad thing with coasters is that they come to a stop. Heaven is the eternal Joy of God – worship him now and enjoy him forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment